The misconception that business process outsourcing (BPO) is only for big businesses has consistently been discredited by the current trend of small and medium enterprises (SME) and startups joining the bandwagon.
Regardless of the nature or scale of your business, outsourcing to the Philippines can help you in several areas including cost, productivity, and customer satisfaction.
It is important to highlight that, for smaller businesses, the vision of expanding operations leading to company growth is made more achievable by venturing into an outsourcing project.
Here are some tips to guide small businesses when outsourcing:
1. Clearly establish the scope of the outsourcing project before choosing an offshore partner. A business that does not have clear expectations from its potential outsourcing partner will less likely achieve favorable results. Be specific about what solutions you need from your outsourcing provider and how you want them to be executed.
2. Do not be tempted to partner with the first outsourcing provider that you meet. Having more options can be advantageous since you will be able to compare the different service packages of potential partners. Being impulsive can lead to wrong decisions, so take time in studying your outsourcing options.
3. Do not base your decision solely on cost. There are several factors to consider when selecting an outsourcing provider, including experience, success of previous campaigns, technology, and skill sets of agents among many others. Take your time in assessing each of these criteria and choose the one with a favorable track record.
4. Choose the right people for your customer service team. Take active participation in every phase of the project, especially in recruiting, training, and evaluating agents. As an outsourcing client, you have the right to demand for quality performance from your team while taking a hands-on approach in making sure it happens.
5. Keep communication channels open between you and your outsourced team. This will provide an avenue for you to learn more about your customers since your outsourced team is directly interacting with them. At the same time, strategies on how agent performance can be improved will more likely be realized when there is constant communication.
6. Provide prompt solutions to problems as they come. Letting bad practices happen without taking any corrective measure will create a negative work culture where mistakes are tolerated and not acted upon. Be systematic when solving issues by understanding first the cause of the problem such as delays or agent error before coming up with a specific course of action.
7. Most importantly, do not forget that one of the benefits of outsourcing is gaining enough time for you to concentrate on your core competencies and in-house operations. Take the outsourcing experience as an opportunity for you to sort out your business strategies in expanding operations and reaching out to a wider customer base.
A successful outsourcing relationship is not only limited to deals made between an outsourcing company and a large corporation. Small businesses can also enjoy the benefits of outsourcing to the Philippines when it is done right. By following these tips, a meaningful and productive outsourcing experience can be achieved by a client, may it be big or small.
Latest posts by Alistair Roque (see all)
- When is the right time to outsource content moderation? - April 27, 2015
- 5 Mistakes that can cause your social media strategy to fail - March 16, 2015
- How to choose the right photos for your social media pages - February 10, 2015